Search This Blog

Monday, June 7, 2010

Clearly I am not very consistent

So the snow is long gone and now I am up to doing things like digging holes in the yard, painting ceilings, and spraypainting things that shouldn't be painted (not really).  Yesterday, my spraypaint victim was the wicker chair on our front porch. I left it au naturel for a few months or so, but then it got wet and started to turn kind of a weird grey speckled color.  Now, traffic cone orange.  The can said pumpkin orange but I think it may glow in the dark it is so bright! Tonight, my newest paint victim is a brand new screen door for the back.  Right now it is white.  It shall be green! I will post pics.  Killing the ozone, one can at a time.  (I hope not!)


After being stuck on the couch for a week and a half thanks to some lovely surgery, I think I am acting like I was in a coma for a few years and now I have to put my life together again.  I am behind in work and house stuff.  Fortunately, the daily trauma known as law school is currently at recess (yay summer!) so I didn't miss any school.  Georgia keeps looking at me like I am crazy and Edmond has always looked at me like that, so, no change there.  My house is all different colors now and we finished the basement!!! It is now "calypso orange" with black carpet and a polka dot rug over that.  It looks less like Halloween than you would think.  I love it down there but right now we seem to be having circulation problems and it is quite warm down there.

As other people in school and working may tell you, things have a tend to kind of fall apart during the school year.  There just isn't a lot that can be done between 10pm and 7am in the way of exercise, cooking, cleaning, studying etc. that allows you to also, you know, sleep, play with the dog and MAYBE have a conversation with loved ones.

That being said, summer is a little like New Years to us students.  We all sit around in April/May and fantasize about how awesome we will be when we aren't slogging through textbooks the size of aircraft carriers.  It turns into a bit of the resolution season.  SO! I shall write mine down in some sort of attempt to hold myself accountable (uhuh right because guilt ALWAYS compels me to act nicely, rather than say, just making me feel bad for eating a pound of pound cake):

  • I promise to cook more
  • I promise to get outside more
  • I promise to play with Georgia more- preferably outside
  • I promise to actually get exercise, hopefully in the shape of pilates and yoga
  • I promise to help out around the house
  • I promise to catch up with friends
  • I promise to do creative things as much as possible
  • I promise to catch up on all those movies I wanted to see when they came out in the past 10 months and neglected to see
  • I promise to catch up on work in the hopes of staving off disaster for a few more months!


So far, I have gotten outside more.  That means I have seen the sun a few times- not hard to do.  I also have been seeing friends more, helping out around the house (see above paragraphs about spray paint) and I have cooked a few times! My dear friend Beverley and I are scrapbooking like infinitely cool soccer moms right now, which helps with the creativity.  She is making an album of her recent trip to South Africa and I am working on my wedding album.  It would be nice to actually finish that before our third anniversary- don't judge!  My ultimate goal is to create good habits that are sustainable during the school year.  IT CAN BE DONE!

Things to inspire me along the way:

  • Shutterbean! - these recipes don't seem horribly complicated and they look so purdy!
  • Design Sponge Online - everything is pretty and happy here, very inspirational for both house stuff and creative pursuits
  • Apartment Therapy- (and the various incarnations like the Kitchn) where else can I spend HOURS finding all sorts of things that I have to do/buy/grow/make right now?
  • Body + Soul- I must get my health in order!
  • I shall add more to this list!  I need a good gardening blog 

To be continued!

No comments:

Post a Comment